Saturday, March 29, 2014

Devil May Cry Review (PS3)


PLEASE NOTE: Reviews are intended to gather more information on games and hear other people's opinions before you purchase it yourself. This review captures no one's opinion but my own- you can use it to influence your opinion but you should keep an open mind and acknowledge that opinions can greatly differ. Thank you. 

DmC Devil May Cry was never very popular among the gaming community, and it even got a lot hate from angry fans of the original series. Dante's hair change, a new developer (Ninja Theory, the people behind Heavenly Sword), and the complete revamp of the series had fans furious. Before February, when DmC was free on PS+, I knew nothing about the franchise besides the fact that it was based very loosely off of A Divine Comedy. I was in no position to judge the game as I hadn't played any of it, but as a fan of Playstation All Stars and A Divine Comedy, I always had respect for Dante. I actually preferred (and still do prefer) the DmC character design as opposed to the original quadrilogy's design. As I mentioned earlier, eventually the remake came to Playstation Plus, and Hell (no pun intended), there was no reason why I wouldn't play it. Here I am now, having just completed the game, and I have to say that it does not deserve the bad reputation that it has. DmC has some flaws in the gameplay and story, but overall I had a ton of fun playing it. I think that most people were taking it to seriously; if you play DmC for what it is, enjoy the humor, enjoy the story, and enjoy the badass weapons and combat system, you'll probably enjoy it as much as I did. Bear in mind, however, I have not played any of the original games, so I can't make comparisons in that field.



DmC is about Dante (a nephilim), Virgil (his brother), and Kat (a human girl assisting the two) attempting to take down the king of the demons, Mundus. Mundus has complete control over the media, marketing, survelliance, governments and everything that comes with if. The trio takes it upon themselves to remove all corruption from the world and free mankind from the secret captivity. The story overall is really cool, and some scenes had me really captivated. With the time that each character gets, they build up a solid background for the whole thing and it makes everything all the more interesting.  It also had a lot of connections to A Divine comedy, more than I would expect, but ill refrain from spoiling either story.

(VERY MILD SPOILER) Although I haven't played any of the older games, there is a part where a mop lands on Dante's head, resembling his classic look, to which he retorts "Not in a million years". I audibly said "Oh, come on!". The humor in the game is great, I just feel like that was a low blow. (/SPOILER)

My only issues with the plot are that at some points it's cheesy, and sometimes the voice acting is subpar. Towards the end of the game, there's a part where Dante screams and its sounds cringe-inducingly forced. Acting aside, however, the cheesiness is part of the appeal. It takes some getting used to, but once you realize that Dante is just an all around badass who will get things done however he wants, it gets really fun.

I've said this before and ill say it again: graphics don't matter, as long as they aren't noticeably bad, because that takes away from the experience. The graphics in DmC are pretty sharp, but I wouldn't call them 'good'. My main problem is the lighting: in the background and scenery, it's nice, but on characters faces and bodies, it's noticeably a series of differently shaded slivers. It's kind of annoying to see, but it doesn't detract front be actual game. Another big problem I have is that nothing looks textured, and what I mean by that is that you can't tell how something would feel. Everything looks hard and solid. When Dante spits on a guys face, you would think it was ice if you didn't know. Dante's jacket looks like it could be snapped if you didn't see it waving as he jumped around. There are some scenes where this isn't a problem, though, and it's not present at all in gameplay. It's just a little frustrating. Besides that, though, the graphics are nice and in some scenes things look very realistic.


Now for the important part (or so I would hope), the gameplay. It plays a lot like god of war, but if you haven't played that, you can go from enemy to enemy and just brutally go all out them, or do group attacks. Throughout the game you get a series of angelic and demonic weapons which vary in gameplay, and you can switch whenever you'd like, even chain different weapons into a combo. And it's not as if each weapon is just stab and block, no - there's a wide array of moves within each weapon, allowing you to mix things up constantly. The combat is easily one of the best parts of the game, providing a challenge where appropriate and fun everywhere. Transportation and exploring is fun, too. I personally didn't like how Dante felt when you walk him around, as it didn't feel tight enough for me, but you eventually get things like grappling hooks and double jumps and all sorts of good stuff. Scattered throughout each of the 20 levels are hidden doors and keys to unlock those doors, so even if you are playing a linear level there is a reward for looking for obscured hallways or things of that nature. The boss fights in DmC, though, oh man. DmC has some of the most enjoyable boss fights I've ever played; it certainly doesn't take the first place prize, but every boss provides a challenge, a reward, an interesting cutscene, and a puzzle. Unlike many modern games, you aren't told how to defeat the bosses. It's not painfully difficult to figure out, either. You'll just need to get creative.



Replay ability is abundant in DmC. The trophies are interesting (and there's an in-game count of how close you are to getting each), the levels have secrets to find, and there are different difficulties which unlock new costumes for Dante. I haven't had the chance to replay anything in the game yet, and I don't think I will anytime soon (Playstation plus has given me a massive backlog), but if I ever wanted to platinum DmC or even just replay it for the hell of it, I would have no trouble doing so. 

DmC feels a bit unpolished in certain areas, but the story is interesting, the humor is great, the gameplay is fun as Hell (this time the pun is intended), and there are all kinds of unlockables and secrets for you to further indulge in. I know the game didn't get that much attention, but the ending leaves a lot open for a sequel and I really hope that one is made. Overall I give DmC an 8/10, because there's so much room for improvement. I do feel that Ninja Theory did a great job, and I know that if they had the opportunity to make a sequel that it would be fantastic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment